UL Standard for Safety Household and Similar Electrical Appliances, Part 2: Particular Requirements for Refrigerating Appliances, Ice-Cream Appliances, and Ice-Makers
|Publication Date:||21 August 2006|
This clause of part 1 is replaced by the following:
This International Standard deals with the safety of the following appliances, their RATED VOLTAGE being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances, 480 V for other appliances and 24 V d.c. for appliances when battery operated:
a) REFRIGERATING APPLIANCES for household and similar use;
b) ICE-MAKERS incorporating a motor-compressor and ice-makers intended to be incorporated in frozen food storage compartments;
c) REFRIGERATING APPLIANCES and ICE-MAKERS for use in camping, touring caravans and boats for leisure purposes.
These appliances may be operated from the mains, from a separate battery or operated either from the mains or from a separate battery.
This standard also deals with the safety of ICE-CREAM APPLIANCES intended for household use, their RATED VOLTAGE being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
It also deals with COMPRESSION-TYPE APPLIANCES for household and similar use, which use FLAMMABLE REFRIGERANTS.
This standard does not cover features of the construction and operation of those REFRIGERATING APPLIANCES which are dealt with in ISO standards.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances which are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
a) the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
b) playing with the appliance by young children.
NOTE 1 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national authorities responsible for transportation.
NOTE 2 This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended to be used in the open air;
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- appliances incorporating a battery intended as a power supply for the refrigeration function;
- appliances assembled on site by the installer;
- appliances with remote motor-compressors;
- motor-compressors (IEC 60335-2-34);
- commercial dispensing appliances and vending appliances (IEC 60335-2-75);
- commercial ice-cream appliances.