Expression of Performance of Sample Handling Systems for Process Analyzers
|Publication Date:||1 March 1992|
|ICS Code (Test conditions and procedures in general):||19.020|
Scope and object
This International Standard specifies the tests which should be carried out to determine the functional performance of sample handling systems. In addition it specifies the information to be provided by the manufacturers and users of such systems.
It is applicable to:
a) systems handling gaseous or liquid samples for process analyzers used for any ultimate purpose, e.g. process control, emission, ambient air monitoring, etc.;
b) complete systems and system components;
c) power supplies and instrumentation for providing and controlling other utilities necessary for process analyzers or sample handling system components, only in so far as they are a functional part of the system;
d) facilities for maintaining system performance;
e) facilities for maintaining the performance of the process analyzer if these are part of the sample handling system and not the analyzer.
1. This standard has been prepared in accordance with the general principles set out in IEC 359.
2. Requirements for general principles concerning quantities, units and symbols are given in ISO 1000 and recommendations for the use of their multiples and of certain other units in ISO 31.
Aspects excluded from scope
This standard does not cover:
- general aspects of process analyzers (see IEC 746 for electrochemical analyzers);
NOTE - An IEC standard is in preparation for gas analyzers.
- electric safety requirements (see IEC 348);
- safety aspects concerning explosive or toxic hazards;
- aspects concerning applications where regulations or legal metrology are involved, such as atmospheric pollution. For such aspects more elaborate work going on inside ISO such as ISO 6712 applies;
- requirements for output signals (see IEC 381-1 and IEC 381-2);
- influence of environmental conditions (see IEC 68).
Equipment excluded from scope
This standard does not apply to:
- systems for handling solid samples;
- equipment intended for use in explosive gas atmospheres (see IEC 79 parts 0 to 12).
This standard is intended
- to specify and to unify the general aspects in the terminology and definitions related to the functional performance of sample handling systems for process analyzers;
- to specify the tests which, in most cases, should be performed to determine the functional performance of sample handling systems;
- to specify what information should be available for the manufacturer of sample handling systems. This information may be provided by the user or the manufacturer of process analyzers or by the manufacturer of sample handling system components;
- to specify what information should be available for the user of sample handling systems.