Standard for Smoke Control Systems
|Publication Date:||1 January 2012|
This standard shall apply to the design, installation, acceptance testing, operation, and ongoing periodic testing of smoke control systems.
The purpose of this standard shall be to establish requirements for smoke control systems to accomplish one or more of the following:
(1) Inhibit smoke from entering stairwells, means of egress, smoke refuge areas, elevator shafts, or similar areas
(2) Maintain a tenable environment in smoke refuge areas and means of egress during the time required for evacuation
(3) Inhibit the migration of smoke from the smoke zone
(4) Provide conditions outside the smoke zone that enable emergency response personnel to conduct search and rescue operations and to locate and control the fire
(5) Contribute to the protection of life and to the reduction of property loss
The requirements specifying the conditions under which a smoke control system shall be provided are addressed by other codes and standards.
Specific design objectives are established in other codes and standards.