Petroleum and natural gas industries — Specific requirements for offshore structures — Part 3: Topsides structure
|Publication Date:||15 December 2010|
|ICS Code (Exploratory, drilling and extraction equipment):||75.180.10|
This part of ISO 19901 gives requirements for the design, fabrication, installation, modification and structural integrity management for the topsides structure for an oil and gas platform. It complements ISO 19902, ISO 19903, ISO 19904-1, ISO 19905-1 and ISO 19906, which give requirements for various forms of support structure. Requirements in this part of ISO 19901 concerning modifications and maintenance relate only to those aspects that are of direct relevance to the structural integrity of the topsides structure.
The actions on (structural components of) the topsides structure are derived from this part of ISO 19901, where necessary in combination with other International Standards in the ISO 19901 series. The resistances of structural components of the topsides structure can be determined by the use of international or national building codes, as specified in this part of ISO 19901. If any part of the topsides structure forms part of the primary structure of the overall structural system of the whole platform, the requirements of this part of ISO 19901 are supplemented with applicable requirements in ISO 19902, ISO 19903, ISO 19904-1, ISO 19905-1 and ISO 19906.
This part of ISO 19901 is applicable to the topsides of offshore structures for the petroleum and natural gas industries, as follows:
- topsides of fixed offshore structures;
- discrete structural units placed on the hull structures of floating offshore structures and mobile offshore units;
- certain aspects of the topsides of arctic structures.
This part of ISO 19901 is not applicable to those parts of the superstructure of floating structures that form part of the overall structural system of the floating structure; these parts come under the provisions of ISO 19904-1. This part of ISO 19901 only applies to the structure of modules on a floating structure that do not contribute to the overall integrity of the floating structural system.
This part of ISO 19901 is not applicable to the structure of hulls of mobile offshore units.
This part of ISO 19901 does not apply to those parts of floating offshore structures and mobile offshore units that are governed by the rules of a recognized certifying authority and which are wholly within the class rules.
Some aspects of this part of ISO 19901 are also applicable to those parts of the hulls of floating offshore structures and mobile offshore units that contain hydrocarbon processing, piping or storage.
This part of ISO 19901 contains requirements for, and guidance and information on, the following aspects of topsides structures:
- design, fabrication, installation and modification;
- in-service inspection and structural integrity management;
- assessment of existing topsides structures;
- decommissioning, removal and disposal;
- prevention, control and assessment of fire, explosions and other accidental events.
This part of ISO 19901 applies to structural components including the following:
- primary and secondary structure in decks, module support frames and modules;
- flare structures;
- crane pedestal and other crane support arrangements;
- helicopter landing decks (helidecks);
- permanent bridges between separate offshore structures;
- masts, towers and booms on offshore structures.