CEN - EN ISO 12813
Electronic fee collection - Compliance check communication for autonomous systems
|Publication Date:||1 December 2019|
|ICS Code (Road transport):||03.220.20|
|ICS Code (IT applications in transport):||35.240.60|
This document defines requirements for short-range communication for the purposes of compliance checking in autonomous electronic fee collecting systems. Compliance checking communication (CCC) takes place between a road vehicle's on-board equipment (OBE) and an interrogator (roadside mounted equipment, mobile device or hand-held unit), and serves to establish whether the data that are delivered by the OBE correctly reflect the road usage of the corresponding vehicle according to the rules of the pertinent toll regime.
The operator of the compliance checking interrogator is assumed to be part of the toll charging role as defined in ISO 17573-1. The CCC permits identification of the OBE, vehicle and contract, and verification of whether the driver has fulfilled his obligations and the checking status and performance of the OBE. The CCC reads, but does not write, OBE data.
This document is applicable to OBE in an autonomous mode of operation; it is not applicable to compliance checking in dedicated short-range communication (DSRC)-based charging systems.
It defines data syntax and semantics, but not a communication sequence. All the attributes defined herein are required in any OBE claimed to be compliant with this document, even if some values are set to "not defined" in cases where certain functionality is not present in an OBE. The interrogator is free to choose which attributes are read in the data retrieval phase, as well as the sequence in which they are read. In order to achieve compatibility with existing systems, the communication makes use of the attributes defined in ISO 14906 wherever useful.
The CCC is suitable for a range of short-range communication media. Specific definitions are given for the CEN-DSRC as specified in EN 15509, as well as for the use of ISO CALM IR, the Italian DSRC as specified in ETSI ES 200 674-1, ARIB DSRC and WAVE DSRC as alternatives to the CEN-DSRC. The attributes and functions defined are for compliance checking by means of the DSRC communication services provided by DSRC application layer, with the CCC attributes and functions made available to the CCC applications at the roadside equipment (RSE) and OBE. The attributes and functions are defined on the level of application data units (ADU).
The definition of the CCC includes:
- the application interface between OBE and RSE (as depicted in Figure 2);
- use of the generic DSRC application layer as specified in ISO 15628 and EN 12834;
- CCC data type specifications given in Annex A;
- a protocol implementation conformance statement (PICS) proforma is given in Annex B;
- use of the CEN-DSRC stack as specified in EN 15509, or other equivalent DSRC stacks as described in Annex C, Annex D, Annex E and Annex F;
- security services for mutual authentication of the communication partners and for signing of data (see Annex H);
- an example CCC transaction is presented in Annex G;
- the informative Annex I highlights how to use this document for the European electronic toll service (as defined in Commission Decision 2009/750/EC).
Test specifications are not within the scope of this document.
NOTE A test suite for checking an OBE or RSE implementation for compliance with this document is defined in the corresponding edition of ISO 13143-1 and ISO 13143-2.