Technical Requirements for Transformers, Rectifiers, and Oil Containment Systems Used in A.C. & D.C. Electrification
|Publication Date:||7 March 2020|
This standard consists of three distinctive scopes which have been subdivided between Modules A, B, & C.
• The scope of Module A covers transformer requirements for Network Rail's 25kV tractionsupplies and auxiliary supplies derived from traction supplies.
• The scope of Module B covers requirements related to high voltage transformers and transformerrectifier
for railwaysignalling power applications, and for supplies to electrical power operational infrastructure.
• The scope of Module C is applicable to oil and oil containment systems for liquid filledtransformers which are contained within Modules A & B.
This standard does not apply to transformers which are operated and maintained byDistribution Network Operators or Transmission Network Operators.
This standard states the specific requirements of the design, manufacture, and testing of transformers and transformer rectifier units used for traction supplies on
Network Rail infrastructure. It also includes the requirements of oil containment systems applicable to liquid-filled transformers utilised for this purpose.
Compliance with standard will mitigate the following risks:
• Unclear requirements leading to difficulties in procuring equipment components;
• Increased cost from different routes and projects working to different sets of requirements;
• Non-complianceof procured components to British and European Standards;
• Contamination of sensitive receptors resulting from the spillage of transformer insulatingoil.