Fuel cell technologies - Part 3-100: Stationary fuel cell power systems - Safety
|Publication Date:||1 May 2020|
|ICS Code (Fuel cells):||27.070|
This part of IEC 62282 applies to stationary packaged, self-contained fuel cell power systems or fuel cell power systems comprised of factory matched packages of integrated systems which generate electricity through electrochemical reactions.
This document applies to systems
a) intended for electrical connection to mains direct, or with a transfer switch, or to a standalone power distribution system;
b) intended to provide AC or DC power;
c) with or without the ability to recover useful heat;
d) intended for operation on the following input fuels:
1) natural gas and other methane rich gases derived from renewable (biomass) or fossil fuel sources, for example, landfill gas, digester gas, coal mine gas;
2) fuels derived from oil refining, for example, diesel, gasoline, kerosene, liquefied petroleum gases such as propane and butane;
3) alcohols, esters, ethers, aldehydes, ketones, Fischer-Tropsch liquids and other suitable hydrogen-rich organic compounds derived from renewable (biomass) or fossil fuel sources, for example, methanol, ethanol, di-methyl ether, biodiesel;
4) hydrogen, gaseous mixtures containing hydrogen gas, for example, synthesis gas, town gas.
This document does not cover:
• micro fuel cell power systems;
• portable fuel cell power systems;
• propulsion fuel cell power systems.
NOTE For special applications such as "marine auxiliary power", additional requirements can be given by the relevant marine ship register standard.
This document is applicable to stationary fuel cell power systems intended for indoor and outdoor commercial, industrial and residential use in non-hazardous areas.
This document contemplates all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events, with the exception of those associated with environmental compatibility (installation conditions), relevant to fuel cell power systems, when they are used as intended and under the conditions foreseen by the manufacturer.
This document deals with conditions that can yield hazards on the one hand to persons, and on the other to damage outside the fuel cell power system only. Protection against damage to the fuel cell power system internals is not addressed in this document, provided it does not lead to hazards outside the fuel cell power system.