PACKT - 9781800568525
Ubuntu 20.04 Essentials
|Publication Date:||20 August 2020|
Explore the potential of Ubuntu 20.04 to manage your local machine and external servers with ease
• Learn how to install Ubuntu on a clean disk drive and with the network installer
• Find out how to set up a firewall to protect your system from vulnerable attacks
• Explore file-sharing services such as Samba and NFS to share files from Ubuntu to third-party systems
Ubuntu is undeniably one of the most highly regarded and widely used Debian-based Linux distributions available today. Thanks to its ease of use and reliability, Ubuntu has a loyal following of Linux users and an active community of developers.
Ubuntu 20.04 Essentials is designed to take you through the installation, use, and administration of the Ubuntu 20.04 distribution in detail. For beginners, the book covers topics such as operating system installation, the basics of the GNOME desktop environment, configuring email and web servers, and installing packages and system updates. Additional installation topics such as dual booting with Microsoft Windows are also covered along with crucial security topics such as configuring a firewall and user and group administration.
For the experienced user, the book delves into topics such as remote desktop access, the Cockpit web interface, logical volume management (LVM), disk partitioning, and swap management. Further, it also explores KVM virtualization, Secure Shell (SSH), Linux containers, and file sharing using both Samba and NFS to provide a thorough overview of this enterprise-class operating system.
What you will learn
• Get to grips with the process of installing and booting Ubuntu
• Configure SSH key-based authentication on Ubuntu
• Create KVM virtual machines using Cockpit and the Virtual Machine Manager (VMM)
• Install, run, and manage containers on Ubuntu
• Send and receive emails using a third-party SMTP relay server
• Add a new disk to an Ubuntu volume group and logical volume
Who this book is for
If you are into network engineering or system administration or are a Linux enthusiast looking to get hands-on with Ubuntu 20.04 to manage local and virtual machines, this book is for you. A solid understanding of basic Linux commands and knowledge of Ubuntu is recommended.
Author: Neil Smyth