PACKT - Android Studio 4.0 Development Essentials
|Publication Date:||20 October 2020|
Upgrade your Android Studio skills and confidently create, test, and upload Android applications using Kotlin
• Discover how to set up Android development and testing environments
• Practice object-oriented programming (OOP) in Kotlin
• Explore all the major elements of Android Jetpack
Kotlin as an Android-compatible programming language is becoming increasingly popular. Fully updated for Android Studio 4.0, this book will teach you the skills necessary to develop Android-based applications using Kotlin.
Starting with the basics, this book outlines the steps necessary to set up Android development and testing environments, and goes on to introduce you to programming in Kotlin. You'll practice Java to Kotlin code conversion and explore data types, operators, expressions, loops, functions, as well as the basics of OOP in Kotlin. You'll then learn about Android architecture components and advanced topics, such as intents, touchscreen handling, gesture recognition, multi-window support integration, and biometric authentication. As you make progress, you'll explore Android Studio 4.0's key features, including layout editor, direct reply notifications, and dynamic delivery. You'll also delve into Android Jetpack and create a sample app project using ViewModel, the Android Jetpack component. Finally, you will upload your app to Google Play Console and model the build process using Gradle.
By the end of this Android book, you'll be fully prepared to develop applications using Android Studio 4.0 and Kotlin.
What you will learn
• Build Android apps by writing less error-prone code using Kotlin
• Reduce the amount of code using Android Jetpack
• Explore unique ways of handling single and multi-touch events
• Trigger local and remote notifications on the device
• Integrate biometric authentication into an Android app
• Create, test, and upload an Android app bundle on Google Play Store
Who this book is for
If you are an application developer or programmer who wants to learn how to build reliable Android applications using Kotlin and Android Studio 4.0, then this book is for you. A basic understanding of programming languages and Android SDK is necessary.
Author: Neil Smyth