ETSI - TR 103 715
SmartM2M; Study for oneM2M; Discovery and Query solutions analysis & selection
|Publication Date:||1 November 2020|
Context for the present document
In order to enhance the semantic capabilities of the oneM2M architecture by providing solid contributions to the oneM2M standards, four Technical Reports have been developed. Each of them is the outcome of a special study phase.
The study and development of semantic Discovery and Query capabilities for oneM2M and its contribution to the oneM2M standard is composed of four phases:
1) A requirements phase where requirements and use cases are formally identified and defined. As a minimum, this work includes discovery of specific information and of aggregated information, and interaction with external sources of data and queries. The oneM2M architecture [i.6], the oneM2M semantic approach [i.7], the current oneM2M capabilities and SAREF [i.6], [i.7], [i.8], [i.9], [i.10], [i.11], [i.12], [i.13], [i.14] are at the basis of these use cases and requirements. This work is documented in ETSI TR 103 714 [i.1].
2) A study phase where possible approaches (existing and new ones) to a discovery and data aggregation solution are analysed with respect to the use cases and requirements. In particular, the need to plug in the solution on the oneM2M standard drives the solution analysis to determine the best approach to be followed. The present document also looks to the query and discovery mechanisms already available, starting from the ones defined by ETSI (e.g. the one included in NGSI-LD [i.15]) to extract (and potentially adapt) the applicable components and to assure a smooth interworking with non-oneM2M solutions. This is documented in the present document [i.3].
3) A simulation phase is conducted in parallel and "circular" feedback with respect to the study phase, with the goal to provide a proof of concept, run suitable scenarios provided by previous phases and a performance evaluation to support the selection/developmen
4) A standardization phase where the Discovery and Query solution is specified and documented in ETSI TR 103 717 [i.4].
The present document covers the second of the four phases and is related to the other documents listed below (the present document is highlighted in italic script in the list):
• ETSI TR 103 714: SmartM2M; Study for oneM2M Discovery and Query use cases and requirements [i.1].
• ETSI TR 103 715: SmartM2M; Study for oneM2M Discovery and Query solutions analysis & selection (this is the present document [i.2]).
• ETSI TR 103 716: SmartM2M; oneM2M Discovery and Query solution(s) simulation and performance evaluation [i.3].
• ETSI TR 103 717: SmartM2M; Study for oneM2M Discovery and Query specification development [i.4].
Scope of the present document
The present document identifies, defines and analyses relevant approaches with respect to the use cases and requirements developed in ETSI TR 103 714 [i.1]. The most appropriate one will be selected.
The need to plug in the solution on the oneM2M standard will drive the solution analysis, to determine the best approach to be followed. The activity will also look to the query and discovery mechanisms already available, starting from the ones defined by ETSI (e.g. the one included in NGSI-LD [i.15]) to extract (and potentially adapt) the applicable components and to ensure a smooth interworking with non-oneM2M solutions.
The present document is structured as follows:
• Clauses 1 to 3 set the scene and provide references as well as definition of terms, symbols and abbreviations which are used in the present document.
• Clause 4 describes the method used for selecting options for analysis and selection for advanced discovery.
• Clause 5 presents a state of the art related to discovery, i.e. the resources involved in resource discovery, different ontologies and query languages and discovery routing mechanisms.
• Clause 6 extracts and describes requirements from use cases presented in ETSI TR 103 714 [i.1]. For each requirement, it presents the related resources that can be impacted with these new requirements and the potential extensions in oneM2M.
• Clause 7 describes the Advanced Semantic Discovery functionalities and its impact in the oneM2M specification. The clause gives a high-level view of Advanced Semantic Discovery functionalities and a detailed forecast of the impact on the oneM2M specification (e.g. new feature, new resources, new parameters, modifications to the existing ones and on the oneM2M API).