PCB Contaminated Equipment
|Publication Date:||7 December 2020|
Included in the scope of this SIN is all E&P oil filled equipment, including that maintained by others, with an oil volume equal to or greater than 5dm3 (5 litres) and either:
• a year of manufacture up to and including 1986, or
• a year of installation up to and including 1987, or
• a year of manufacture or year of installation that is not known or recorded.
This equipment includes, but is not limited to:
• oil-filled cable end/termination boxes;
• power capacitors
• fluid-filled HV cables
E&P Distribution switchgear (oil-filled circuit breakers and switches) is excluded from scope where the actions described in NR/BS/LI/255 are confirmed to be complete.
The purpose of this Special Inspection Notice (SIN) is to identify all Electrical Power equipment on Network Rail infrastructure that contains, or may contain, Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs), as defined by the following legislation:
• The Environmental Protection (Disposal of Polychlorinated Biphenyls and other Dangerous Substances) (England and Wales) Regulations 2000 and
• The Environmental Protection (Disposal of Polychlorinated Biphenyls and other Dangerous Substances) (Scotland) Regulations 2000.