Personal Transport Vehicles – Safety and Performance Specifications
|Publication Date:||28 October 2020|
This standard provides safety and performance specifications relating to personal transport vehicles (PTVs), driven by electric motors or internal combustion engines to be operated on designated roadways, or within a closed community where permitted by law or by regulatory authority rules.
This standard does not apply to:
- golf cars, which are covered by ANSI/OPEI Z130.1 (formerly ANSI/ILTVA Z130.1);
- personnel and burden carriers, which are covered by ANSI/ITSDF B56.8;
- low speed vehicles, which are covered by SAE J2358;
- autonomous vehicles;
- hybrid electric vehicles (powered by a combination of an internal combustion engine and a battery with an electric motor);
- vehicles designed for the transportation of persons with disabilities.
The effective implementation date of this standard shall be two (2) years after the publication date and shall apply to all products built after that date. Newly manufactured PTVs may also comply with the requirements of this standard any time after the publication date.
NOTE - The units in this standard are given in metric. English units are included in parentheses for information only.
The purpose of this standard is to promote safety in the design, manufacture, maintenance and operation of PTVs. This standard may be used as a guide by regulatory authorities desiring to formulate safety rules and regulations. This standard is also intended for voluntary use by others associated with manufacturing, maintaining or utilizing PTVs.