UL STANDARD FOR SAFETY LP-Gas Regulators
|Publication Date:||22 January 2021|
These requirements cover pressure regulators for use with LP-Gas equipment.
NOTE: For the purposes of this standard the terms "LP-Gas" and "Propane" are interchangeable.
Regulators covered by these requirements are intended to be installed and used in systems in accordance with the applicable Codes and Regulations as determined by the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), such as, but not limited to:
a) In the United States:
1) Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code, NFPA 58;
2) National Fuel Gas Code, NFPA 54;
3) Outdoor Cooking Gas Appliances, CSA/AM ANSI Z21.58/CSA 1.6; and
b) In Canada:
1) Natural gas and propane installation code, CSA B149.1;
2) Outdoor Cooking Gas Appliances, CSA/AM ANSI Z21.58/CSA 1.6;
3) CAN/CSA Z240 RV Series, Recreational Vehicles;
4) CAN/CSA Z241 Series, Park model trailers; and
5) Provincial or other Regulations.
These requirements do not cover:
a) Compressed gas regulators;
b) Gas appliance pressure regulators;
c) Regulators for use in chemical, petroleum, or utility power plants; pipeline or marine terminals; or related storage facilities at such plants or terminals;
d) Combination gas control valves for gas appliances;
e) Regulators for use in oxygen-fuel, gas-welding, and cutting operations; and
f) Regulators for use in engine fuel (automotive and/or marine) applications.
The requirements for (a) - (e) are covered in: the Standard for Compressed Gas Regulators, UL 252, or CGA E-4, Standard for Compressed Gas Regulators; and in the Standard for Gas Appliance Pressure Regulators, CSA/AM CSA/ANSI Z21.18/CSA 6.3, and in the Standard for Combination Gas Controls for Gas Appliances, CSA/AM CSA/ANSI Z21.78/CSA 6.20, respectively.
The assigning of flow ratings to regulators is not within the scope of these requirements