Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-30: Particular requirements for room heaters
|Publication Date:||1 March 2021|
|ICS Code (Electric heaters):||97.100.10|
|ICS Code (Domestic safety):||13.120|
This International Standard deals with the safety of electric room heaters for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
NOTE 101 Examples of appliances that are within the scope of this standard are
- convector heaters;
- fan heaters;
- heaters for use in greenhouses;
- liquid-filled radiators;
- panel heaters;
- radiant heaters;
- tubular heaters;
- ceiling mounted heat lamp appliances;
- cab heaters.
This standard also deals with the safety of electric heaters intended for the heating of driver and passenger compartments of motor vehicles when they are stationary, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
For extraction fans of ceiling mounted heat lamp appliances, IEC 60335-2-80 is applicable as far as is reasonable.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in the shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances which are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
NOTE 102 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in moving vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities;
- for appliances intended to be used in the presence of combustible dust, for example in barns or stables, additional requirements may be necessary.
NOTE 103 This standard does not apply to
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- heaters that are built into air conditioners (IEC 60335-2-40);
- clothes dryers and towel rails (IEC 60335-2-43);
- heaters for saunas (IEC 60335-2-53);
- thermal-storage room heaters (IEC 60335-2-61);
- heating appliances for breeding and rearing animals (IEC 60335-2-71);
- foot warmers and heating mats (IEC 60335-2-81);
- flexible sheet heating elements for room heating (IEC 60335-2-96);
- heated carpets;
- central heating systems;
- heating cables (IEC 60800);
- heaters intended for the heating of caravans.