CENELEC - EN IEC 61439-1
Low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies - Part 1: General rules
|Publication Date:||1 May 2021|
|ICS Code (Low voltage switchgear and controlgear):||29.130.20|
This part of IEC 61439 lays down the general definitions and service conditions, construction requirements, technical characteristics and verification requirements for low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies.
NOTE Throughout this document, the term assembly(s) (see 3.1.1) is used for a low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assembly(s).
For the purpose of determining assembly conformity, the requirements of the relevant part of the IEC 61439 series, Part 2 onwards, apply together with the cited requirements of this document. For assemblies not covered by Part 3 onward, Part 2 applies.
This document applies to assemblies only when required by the relevant assembly standard as follows:
- assemblies for which the rated voltage does not exceed 1 000 V AC or 1 500 V DC;
- assemblies designed for a nominal frequency of the incoming supply or supplies not exceeding 1 000 Hz;
- assemblies intended for indoor and outdoor applications;
- stationary or movable assemblies with or without an enclosure;
- assemblies intended for use in connection with the generation, transmission, distribution and conversion of electric energy, and for the control of electrical energy consuming equipment.
This document does not apply to individual devices and self-contained components such as motor starters, fuse switches, power electronic converter systems and equipment (PECS), switch mode power supplies (SMPS), uninterruptable power supplies (UPS), basic drive modules (BDM), complete drive modules (CDM), adjustable speed power drives systems (PDS), and other electronic equipment which comply with their relevant product standards. This document describes the integration of devices and self-contained components into an assembly or into an empty enclosure forming an assembly.
For some applications involving, for example, explosive atmospheres, functional safety, there can be a need to comply with the requirements of other standards or legislation in addition to those specified in the IEC 61439 series.