UL - 60335-2-69 BULLETIN
UL Standard for Safety Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-69: Particular requirements for wet and dry vacuum cleaners, including power brush, for commercial use
|Publication Date:||2 July 2021|
This part of IEC 60335 deals with the safety of electrical motor-operated vacuum cleaners, including back-pack vacuum cleaners, and dust extractors, for wet suction, dry suction, or wet and dry suction, intended for commercial indoor or outdoor use with or without attachments. They may be provided with a blowing or inflating function.
It also deals with the safety of centrally-sited vacuum cleaners, excluding the installation of the system.
1DV.1 DR Modification to add the following:
1DV.1 of the Part 1 applies.
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that additional requirements on the safe installation of centrally-sited vacuum cleaners are not addressed by this standard but need to be taken into account.
NOTE 102 This standard applies to machines for commercial use. The following list, although not comprehensive, gives an indication of locations that are included in the scope:
public use areas such as hotels, schools, hospitals;
industrial locations, for example factories and manufacturing shops;
retail outlets, for example shops and supermarkets;
business premises, for example offices and banks;
all uses other than normal housekeeping purposes.
They are not equipped with a traction drive. The following power systems are covered:
mains powered motors up to a rated voltage of 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances,
battery powered motors.
1DV.2 DE Modification to replace the paragraph and dashed list following note 102 with following:
They are not equipped with a traction drive. Machines equipped with traction drive are under the scope of CSA C22.2 No. 60335-2-72 / UL 60335-2-72. The following power systems are covered:
- mains powered motors up to a RATED VOLTAGE of 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances,
- battery powered motors.
This standard also applies to machines handling hazardous dust, such as asbestos.
NOTE 103 Additional requirements for machines handling hazardous dust are given in Annex AA. Attention is drawn to the fact that in many countries additional requirements on hazardous substances might apply.
NOTE 104 Radioactive substances are not covered by definition of hazardous dust for the purposes of this standard.
This standard does not apply to
vacuum cleaners and water-suction cleaning appliances for household use (IEC 60335-2-2);
floor treatment machines for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-67, IEC 60335-2-72);
spray extraction machines for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-68);
hand-held mains-operated electrical garden blowers, vacuums and blower vacuums (IEC 60335- 2-100);
hand-held and transportable motor-operated electric tools (IEC 60745 series, IEC 61029 series, IEC 62841 series);
appliances for medical purposes (IEC 60601-1);
machines designed for use in corrosive environments;
machines designed for picking up liquids with a flash point below 55 °C;
machines designed for use in explosive environments (dust, vapour or gas), except those designed for use in zone 22.
NOTE 105 The flash point temperature limit may vary in different countries. National regulations will need to be taken into account.
NOTE 106 Additional requirements for vacuum cleaners designed for collecting combustible dust in zone 22 are given in Annex CC.
NOTE 107 Attention is drawn to the fact that in many countries additional requirements on the safe use of the equipment covered can be specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
1DV.3 DE Modification to replace the dashed items following "This standard does not apply to" with the following:
- vacuum cleaners and water-suction cleaning appliances for household use (CAN/CSA-E60335-2-2,
- floor treatment machines for COMMERCIAL USE, (CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60335-2-67 / UL 60335-2-67, CSA C22.2 No. 60335-2-72 / UL 60335-2-72);
- spray extraction machines for COMMERCIAL USE (CSA C22.2 No. 60335-2-68 / UL 60335-2-68);
- hand-held mains-operated electrical garden blowers, vacuums and blower vacuums (CSA C22.2 No. 243 / UL 1017);
- hand-held and transportable motor-operated electric tools (CSA C22.2 No. 60745 series, UL 60745 series, CAN/CSA-E1029 series, UL 987, CSA C22.2 No. 71.2, CSA C22.2 No. 62841 series, UL 62841 series);
- appliances for medical purposes (CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60601-1, UL 60601-1, AAMI ES60601-1);
- machines designed for use in corrosive environments;
- machines designed for picking up flammable liquids;
- machines designed for use in explosive environments (dust, vapour or gas);
NOTE Machines designed for use in hazardous locations are evaluated according to requirements of the CE Code and the NEC.
- machines with steam cleaning function (These machines are evaluated to this standard and the applicable requirements for steam cleaning from CSA C22.2 No. 243, UL 1017).
1DV.4 DE Modify Clause 1 by deleting Note 106:This Note does not apply.