NAVY - OPNAV 1220.1F
(N133) CHANGING OR REMOVING NAVY ENLISTED CLASSIFICATION CODES FOR NUCLEAR PROPULSION PLANT PERSONNEL
|Publication Date:||6 October 2021|
Scope and Applicability.
This instruction amplifies the information in references (a) and (b) and clarifies procedures to submit recommendations for assignment, removal or change of NECs that identify enlisted personnel trained as nuclear propulsion plant operators and supervisors. Reference (c) provides background for NEC code changes as a result of drug use or diagnosis of substance use disorder. Primary NEC codes that identify enlisted nuclear propulsion plant personnel are defined in reference (a) and can be separated into four categories.
a. Operator. NEC codes in this category identify junior enlisted personnel who graduated from the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program training pipeline and are:
(1) Serving aboard a submarine or are submarine designated - submarine nuclear propulsion plant operator (NECs N13O/N14O/N15O/N16O)
(2) Serving aboard a nuclear powered surface ship or are not designated for submarine duty - surface ship nuclear propulsion plant operator (NECs N23O/N24O/N25O/N26O)
(3) Trainees - nuclear propulsion plant operator trainee (NEC N91T). This category identifies students who were recruited or otherwise volunteered for training in the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program and have not yet graduated from the training pipeline. The nuclear propulsion plant operator NEC code change (NEC N91T to NXXO) will be assigned upon completion of training and is not addressed further in this instruction.
b. Supervisor. The NECs in subparagraphs 3b(1) and 3b(2) identify enlisted personnel who are qualified by seniority, experience, qualification, demonstrated reliability, maturity and proficiency to supervise the operation and maintenance of a nuclear propulsion plant.
(1) Submarine nuclear propulsion plant - submarine nuclear propulsion plant supervisor (NEC N13S/N14S/N15S/N16S)
(2) Surface warship nuclear propulsion plant - nuclear propulsion plant supervisor (NEC N23S/N24S/N25S/N26S)
c. Special. Submarine and surface warship - nuclear propulsion plant operator - special category (NEC N59X or N89X). NEC codes in this category identify enlisted personnel who qualified for a NEC in one of the operator or supervisor categories and have been removed from duty in connection with supervision, operation and maintenance of a naval nuclear propulsion plant (examples: limited duty status, alcohol rehabilitation, certain accounting codes other than 100). The assignment of this NEC must be determined by the Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Manpower, Personnel, Training and Education (CNO N1), Nuclear Enlisted Program Manager (OPNAV N133D) on a case-by-case basis.
d. Secondary. This section identifies secondary NECs requiring a NAVPERS 1221/6 Navy Enlisted Classification Change Request prior to assignment.
(1) Submarine nuclear propulsion plant - nuclear qualified master chief engineering department (EDMC) (NEC N32Z). The EDMC NEC should be used as a secondary NEC in conjunction with the primary NEC nuclear propulsion plant supervisor.
(2) Surface warship nuclear propulsion plant - nuclear qualified master chief reactor department (RDMC) (NEC N31Z). The RDMC NEC should be used as a secondary NEC in conjunction with the primary NEC nuclear propulsion plant supervisor.
(3) Surface warship nuclear propulsion plant - CVN propulsion plant local area network (PPLAN) administrator (NEC N71Z).
(4) Surface warship nuclear propulsion plant - CVN PPLAN manager (NEC N72Z).
(5) Surface warship propulsion plant - Propulsion Plant Non-Nuclear Engineer (NEC U74Z).
(6) Submarine and Surface warship propulsion plant - Nuclear Propulsion Plant Planner (NEC N77Z).
(7) Qualified EWS or PPWS (NEC N33Z). The EWS or PPWS NEC is a secondary NEC in conjunction with the primary supervisor NEC.