IEC - 60335-2-48
Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-48: Particular requirements for commercial electric grillers and toasters
|Publication Date:||1 November 2021|
|ICS Code (Small kitchen appliances):||97.040.50|
This part of IEC 60335 deals with the safety of electrically operated commercial grillers and toasters , their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances connected between one phase and neutral, and 480 V for other appliances.
Rotary or continuous grillers or toasters and similar appliances intended for grilling by radiant heat such as rotisseries, salamanders, etc., are within the scope of this standard.
These appliances are not intended for household and similar purposes. They are used for commercial processing of food, also in areas open to the public, for example in kitchens of restaurants, canteens, hospitals and in commercial enterprises such as bakeries and butcheries. The electrical part of appliances making use of other forms of energy is also within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by these types of appliances.
Attention is drawn to the fact that:
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities;
- for appliances intended to be used outdoors, additional requirements can be necessary.
This standard does not apply to:
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- appliances for continuous mass production of food;
- commercial electric griddles and griddle grills (IEC 60335-2-38);
- battery-operated appliances;
- grills, toasters and similar portable cooking appliances for household use covered by IEC 60335-2-9 and used in the following environments by laymen;
• staff kitchen areas in shops, offices and other working environments;
• farm houses;
• hotels, motels and other residential type environments;
• bed and breakfast type environments.