IEC - 60335-2-55
Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-55: Particular requirements for electrical appliances for use with aquariums and garden ponds
|Publication Date:||1 November 2021|
|ICS Code (Home economics in general):||97.020|
This part of IEC 60335 deals with the safety of electric appliances for use with aquariums and garden ponds for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V, including direct current (DC) supplied appliances and battery-operated appliances.
Examples of appliances that this standard is applicable to are
- aquarium heaters;
- automatic food dispensers;
- sludge-suction appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but that nevertheless can be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops and in light industry and farms, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
- persons (including children) whose
• physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or
• lack of experience and knowledge
prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
- pumps (IEC 60335-2-41);
- other portable immersion heaters (IEC 60335-2-74);
- luminaires for aquariums and garden ponds (IEC 60598-2-18);
- appliances intended for outdoor use having a rated power input exceeding 100 W;
- appliances intended exclusively for professional use;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).