IEC - 62477-1
Safety requirements for power electronic converter systems and equipment – Part 1: General
|Publication Date:||1 May 2022|
|ICS Code (Rectifiers. Converters. Stabilized power supply):||29.200|
This part of IEC 62477 applies to power electronic converter systems (PECS), any specified accessories, and their components for electronic power conversion and electronic power switching, including the means for their control, protection, monitoring and measurement, such as with the main purpose of converting electric power, with rated system voltages not exceeding 1 000 V AC or 1 500 V DC.
This document also applies to PECS which intentionally emit or receive radio waves for the purpose of radio communication.
This document can also be used as a reference standard for product committees producing product standards for:
• adjustable speed electric power drive systems (PDS);
• standalone uninterruptible power systems (UPS);
• low voltage stabilized DC power supplies;
• bidirectional power converters.
For PECS and their specified accessories for which no product standard exists, this document provides minimum requirements for safety aspects.
This document has the status of a group safety publication in accordance with IEC Guide 104 for power electronic converter systems for solar, wind, tidal, wave, fuel cell or similar energy sources.
According to IEC Guide 104, one of the responsibilities of technical committees is, wherever applicable, to make use of basic safety publications and/or group safety publications in the preparation of their product standards.
Guidance for use of this group safety publication for product committees is given in Annex S.
• establishes a common terminology for safety aspects relating to PECS,
• establishes minimum requirements for the coordination of safety aspects of interrelated parts within a PECS,
• establishes a common basis for minimum safety requirements for the PECS portion of products that contain PECS,
• specifies requirements to reduce risks of fire, electric shock, thermal, energy and mechanical hazards, during use and operation and, where specifically stated, during service and maintenance, and
• specifies minimum requirements to reduce risks with respect to PECS designed as pluggable and permanently connected equipment, whether it consists of a system of interconnected units or independent units, subject to installing, operating and maintaining the PECS in the manner prescribed by the manufacturer.
This document does not cover
• telecommunications apparatus other than power supplies to such apparatus,
• functional safety aspects as covered by, for example, IEC 61508 (all parts), and
• electrical equipment and systems for railways applications and electric vehicles.