ABS - 320
Guide For Sustainability Notations
|Publication Date:||1 September 2022|
Application and Scope (1 September 2022)
The Guide is applicable to existing and new:
● Self-propelled marine vessels
● All offshore units, floating installations, and liftboats (self-propelled and non-self-propelled)
These are referred to, unless otherwise indicated, as "vessels" in this Guide, for which the optional SUSTAIN-1 or SUSTAIN-2 notation has been requested.
For definitions of self-propelled unit and non-self-propelled unit, refer to 3-1-1/1.5 and 3-1-1/1.7 of the MOU Rules.
End of Commentary
The application of this Guide to non-self-propelled offshore units as well as to floating installations is subject to case-by-case review by ABS with consideration to the specific design and operational conditions of these vessels.
Appendix 3, Table 1 of this Guide shows the correlation between the requirements of this Guide to the requirements of other relevant ABS notations and shows the International Regulations and Standards covered by the requirements of this Guide.
The Guide demonstrates how sustainability can be directly linked to design and operations. It also provides means for demonstrating the compliance of a vessel with environmental and social requirements.
Vessels can demonstrate adherence to certain UN SDGs through the offered optional notations. The Guide offers a stepwise approach for vessels to meet sustainability-relat
This Guide focuses on sustainability aspects of vessel design, outfitting, and layout that can be controlled, measured, and assessed. These are:
i) Oil and Chemical Pollution
ii) Waste Streams
iii) Coastal and Marine Ecosystems
iv) Air Emissions
v) Efficiency and Performance Monitoring
vi) Ship Recycling
vii) Low or Zero Carbon Fuels and Technologies
viii) Human Element
The sustainability aspects covered in this Guide are directly linked to specific SDGs as follows:
● SDG 3: The Guide addresses vessel related pollution such as air emissions and water pollution, as well as hazardous material contained onboard, which can affect human health, both onboard but also in coastal areas. This SDG can also be linked to the occupational health and safety of the seafarer, and this Guide contains human element related requirement to address the workplace design.
● SDG 7: This SDG covers clean energy research and technology (energy-efficiency and advance, cleaner fossil-fuel technology) and promotes maritime clean-energy efficiency. The requirements for air emissions, efficiency and performance monitoring, and low/zero carbon fuels prescribed in this Guide, directly address the intent of this SDG as it relates to vessel design.
● SDG 8: This SDG addresses the seafarers' welfare on issues such as safety, fatigue, and promotes a safe and secure working environment for all seafarers. The promotion of decent work for all, ties in with SDG 3 which is focused on ensuring healthy living and the well-being of seafarers. From the perspective of vessel design, this Guide contains requirements covering both the design and the ambient environmental characteristics of the living and working spaces onboard.
● SDG 9: The innovation and technological advance covered in this SDG, as they relate to vessel design, are addressed in this Guide through the requirements on air emissions and efficiency and performance monitoring.
● SDG 12: One of the targets of this SDG, is reduced waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling, and reuse. This Guide addresses waste generation from vessels such as garbage and sewage and also covers the safe and environmentally sound recycling of the vessels themselves.
● SDG 13: The Guide's requirements for air emissions as well as efficiency and performance monitoring, are all focusing on addressing climate change and its impacts.
● SDG 14: This SDG focuses on the conservation and sustainable use of the oceans and marine resources. This Guide, by addressing marine pollution, waste streams and marine and coastal ecosystems (e.g., ballast water, underwater radiated noise, etc.) links vessel design to the targets of this SDG.