IEC - 60730-1
Automatic electrical controls – Part 1: General requirements
|1 September 2022
|ICS Code (Automatic controls for household use):
This document applies to automatic electrical controls
• for use in, on, or in association with equipment for household appliance and similar use;
NOTE 1 Throughout this document, the word "equipment" means "appliance and equipment".
• for building automation within the scope of ISO 16484 series and IEC 63044 series (HBES/BACS);
EXAMPLE 1 Independently mounted water valves, controls in smart grid systems and controls for building automation systems within the scope of ISO 16484-2.
• for equipment that is used by the public, such as equipment intended to be used in shops, offices, hospitals, farms and commercial and industrial applications;
EXAMPLE 2 Controls for commercial catering, heating and air-conditioning equipment.
• that are smart enabled controls;
EXAMPLE 3 Smart grid control, remote interfaces/control of energy-consuming equipment including computer or smart phone.
• that are AC or DC powered controls with a rated voltage not exceeding 690 V AC or 600 V DC where the DC source is provided by primary or secondary batteries;
• used in, on, or in association with equipment that use electricity, gas, oil, solid fuel, solar thermal energy, etc., or a combination thereof;
• utilized as part of a control system or controls which are mechanically integral with multifunctional controls having non-electrical outputs;
• using NTC or PTC thermistors and to discrete thermistors, requirements for which are contained in Annex J;
• that are mechanically or electrically operated, responsive to or controlling such characteristics as temperature, pressure, passage of time, humidity, light, electrostatic effects, flow, or liquid level, current, voltage, acceleration, or combinations thereof;
• as well as manual controls when such are electrically and/or mechanically integral with automatic controls.
NOTE 2 Requirements for manually actuated mechanical switches not forming part of an automatic control are contained in IEC 61058-1-1.
This document applies to
- the inherent safety of automatic electrical controls, and
- functional safety of automatic electrical controls and safety related systems,
- controls where the performance (for example the effect of EMC phenomena) of the product can impair the overall safety and performance of the controlled system,
- the operating values, operating times, and operating sequences where such are associated with equipment safety.
This document specifies the requirements for construction, operation and testing of automatic electrical controls used in, on, or in association with an equipment.
This document does not
• apply to automatic electronic controls intended exclusively for industrial process applications unless explicitly mentioned in the relevant part 2 or the equipment standard. However, this document can be applied to evaluate automatic electrical controls intended specifically for industrial applications in cases where no relevant safety standard exists.
• take into account the response value of an automatic action of a control, if such a response value is dependent upon the method of mounting the control in the equipment. Where a response value is of significant purpose for the protection of the user, or surroundings, the value defined in the appropriate equipment standard or as determined by the manufacturer will apply.
• address the integrity of the output signal to the network devices, such as interoperability with other devices unless it has been evaluated as part of the control system.