Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Part 2-87: Particular requirements for electrical animal-stunning equipment
|Publication Date:||1 October 2012|
|ICS Code (Other agricultural machines and equipment):||65.060.99|
This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This standard deals with the safety of electric animal-stunning equipment the rated voltage of which is not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
This standard is applicable to electric animal-stunning equipment for industrial or commercial use, for use on farms or for use in areas where they may be a source of danger to the public.
So far as is practical, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by these types of appliances.
NOTE 101 Examples of electric animal-stunning equipment within the scope of this standard are those used to stun:
- bovines such as cattle, calves, cows, heifers and bulls;
- ovines such as sheep and lambs;
- caprines such as goats;
- cervids such as deer;
- solipeds such as horses, donkeys and mules;
- birds such as chickens, turkeys and guinea fowl;
- porcines such as pigs;
- fur animals such as foxes, chinchilla, rabbits and possums;
- mustelids such as mink and polecats;
- other ruminants such as camels.
NOTE 102 The following types of electric animal-stunning equipment are covered by this standard:
- manual, semi-automatic and automatic.
NOTE 103 Attention is drawn to the fact that:
- for electric animal-stunning equipment intended to be used on board ships, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified concerning the humane slaughter of animals.
NOTE 104 This standard does not apply to:
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- electric fence energizers (see IEC 60335-2-76);
- electric fishing machines (see IEC 60335-2-86);
- meat tenderizers, carcass immobilizers, carcass stiffeners, spinal discharge equipment or similar equipment.