CEN - EN 12159
Builders hoists for persons and materials with vertically guided cages
|Publication Date:||1 November 2012|
|ICS Code (Lifts. Escalators):||91.140.90|
This European Standard deals with power operated temporarily installed builders hoists (referred to as "hoists" in this standard) intended for use by persons who are permitted to enter sites of engineering and construction, serving landing levels, having a cage:
- designed for the transportation of persons or of persons and materials;
- travelling vertically or along a path within 15° max. of the vertical;
- supported or sustained by drum driven wire rope, rack and pinion, or an expanding linkage mechanism;
- where masts, when erected, may or may not require support from separate structures.
The European Standard identifies hazards as listed in Clause 4 which arise during the various phases in the life of such equipment and describes methods for the elimination or reduction of these hazards when used as intended by the manufacturer.
This European Standard does not specify the additional requirements for:
- operation in severe conditions (e.g. extreme climates, strong magnetic fields);
- lightning protection;
- operation subject to special rules (e.g. potentially explosive atmospheres);
- electromagnetic compatibility (emission, immunity);
- handling of loads the nature of which could lead to dangerous situations (e.g. molten metal, acids/bases, radiating materials, fragile loads);
- the use of combustion engines;
- the use of remote controls;
- hazards occurring during manufacture;
- hazards occurring as a result of mobility;
- hazards occurring as a result of being erected over a public road;
This European Standard is not applicable to:
- builders hoists for the transport of goods only EN 12158-1 and EN 12158-2;
- lifts according to EN 81-1, EN 81-2, EN 81-3 and EN 81-43;
- work cages suspended from lifting appliances;
- work platforms carried on the forks of fork trucks;
- work platforms EN 1495;
- lifts specially designed for military purposes;
- mine lifts;
- theatre elevators;
- builders hoists for persons and material with vertically guided cages which are manufactured before the date of its publication as EN;
- hoists with hydraulic drive/braking systems and hydraulic safety devices.
This document is not applicable to Builders hoists for persons and material with vertical guided cages which are manufactured before the date of its publication as EN.
This European Standard deals with the hoist installation. It includes the base frame and base enclosure but excludes the design of any concrete, hard core, timber or other foundation arrangement. It includes the design of mast ties but excludes the design of anchor screws to the supporting structure. It includes the landing gates and their frames but excludes the design of any anchorage fixing bolts to the supporting structure.