Supply chain applications of RFID - Freight containers
|Publication Date:||1 March 2013|
|ICS Code (Packaging and distribution of goods in general):||55.020|
|ICS Code (General purpose containers):||55.180.10|
This International Standard defines the usage of read/write radio-frequency identification technology [RFID] cargo shipment-specific tags associated with containerized freight for supply chain management purpose ["manifest tags"]. This International Standard defines the air interface communications, a common set of required data structures, and a commonly organized, through common syntax and semantics, set of optional data requirements.
This International Standard:
- makes recommendations about a second generation supply chain tag intended to monitor the condition and security of the freight resident within a freight container;
- specifies the implementation of sensors for freight resident in a freight container;
- makes specific recommendations about mandatory non-reprogrammable information on the shipment tag;
- makes specific recommendations about optional, re-programmable information on the shipment tag;
- makes specific recommendations about the data link interface for GPS or GLS services;
- specifies the reuse and recyclability of the RF tag;
- specifies the means by which the data in a complaint RF tag "backed-up" by bar codes and two-dimensional symbols, as well as human-readable information.