IPTV QoE Measurement Recommendations & Framework
|Publication Date:||1 September 2012|
This document discusses how QoE for IPTV services can be measured or estimated as a customer of such a service would perceive it. Customer experiences often can be expressed as a MOS . This document also discusses how to predict MOSs by means of algorithmic approaches. The application of such approaches includes in-service monitoring, planning purposes, testing, and service assurance.
This document extends ATIS-0800008  from the QoE perspective in the following manner:
- The perceptual quality aspects evident to IPTV customers.
- Algorithmic measurement model types like Full Reference (FR), Reduced Reference (RR), No Reference (NR), parametric models, and typical applications.
- QoE models and measurements in the context of the four IPTV quality layers (transmission, media stream, content, and transaction as defined in ATIS-0800004 ).
- Requirement specifications for measurement methods, such as input and output formats, and measurement locations in a network.
- Measurement applications to create alerts (for example) if qualities drop below a predefined threshold.
- The role of QoE indicators, such as blockiness, etc., in customer experience measurements.
This document provides recommendations for IPTV QoE measurements and a framework to apply such measurements. The document references existing standards and fills gaps not addressed in existing standards to date. Appendices provide additional context and rationale for this document as well as examples of applications, such as QoE models applied to GB938 Key Quality Indicators (KQIs) .