CEN - EN 15997
All terrain vehicles (ATVs - Quads) - Safety requirements and test methods
|Publication Date:||1 November 2011|
|ICS Code (Motorcycles and mopeds):||43.140|
This European Standard applies to "All Terrain Vehicles" or "ATVs" as defined in Clause 3 using liquid fuels (e.g. petrol, diesel). This European Standard does not deal with requirements relating to use on public roads 1).
This European Standard is not dealing with:
- ATVs exclusively intended for competition 2);
- agricultural and forestry tractors coming under the Directive 2003/37/EC;
- accessories for additional functions (towing hook and load carrying provisions remaining within the vertical projection onto the ground of the vehicle without these load carrying provisions are not considered as accessories);
- the additional hazards due to the use of the ATV on public roads;
- the additional hazards due to the use of remote control. This European Standard deals with all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to ATVs, when they are used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer (see Clause 4). It deals with the significant hazards during the whole lifecycle of the product as defined in 5.3 of EN ISO 12100-1:2003.
This European Standard is not applicable to ATVs which are manufactured before the date of its publication as EN.
NOTE For the purpose of this document, any reference to the vehicle should be regarded as a reference as a machine.
1) In general vehicles intended for use on public roads have to fulfil specific requirements and require official "typeapproval".
2) The main criterion to be applied to judge whether vehicles are to be considered as exclusively intended for competition is whether they are designed according to the technical specifications laid down by one of the officially recognised racing associations.