HPS - ANSI/HPS N13.12
Surface and Volume Radioactivity Standards for Clearance
|Publication Date:||1 January 2013|
This standard applies to the clearance of items and materials from areas controlled to protect individuals from exposure to radiation or radioactive material during or after operations. This standard establishes a primary radiation dose criterion and derived screening levels for surface and volume radioactivity for groups of radionuclides.
The following are not included in the scope of this standard:
1. naturally occurring radioactive materials (NORM) in bulk;
2. radioactive materials in or on persons, including 40K in the body;
3. release of a licensed or regulated site or facility;
4. radioactive materials on or in foodstuffs;
5. release of land or soil intended for agricultural purposes;
6. clearance issues related to national defense or security;
7. process gases and liquids, including those discharged in accordance with federal or state license requirements;
8. radioactive material in transport in accordance with Department of Transportation, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (USNRC), or U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) regulations; and
9. radioactive materials at concentrations or quantities governed by regulations or exemption or exclusion.
This clearance standard is not intended as a substitute for radiological criteria for decommissioning or for intervention criteria during cleanup projects. This standard provides screening levels, which are protective of the public health, for the clearance of items or materials