Remediation of Environmental Contamination Outside the United States
|Publication Date:||1 November 2013|
PURPOSE. In accordance with the authority in DoD Directive (DoDD) 5134.01 and DoDD 4715.1E (References (a) and (b)), this instruction:
a. Reissues DoD Instruction (DoDI) 4715.8 (Reference (c)) to update established policy and assigned responsibilities and procedures for remediation of environmental contamination on DoD installations outside the United States.
b. Incorporates and cancels Deputy Secretary of Defense Memorandum (Reference (d)).
APPLICABILITY. This instruction:
a. Applies to:
(1) OSD, the Military Departments, the Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (CJCS) and the Joint Staff, the Combatant Commands, the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, the Defense Agencies, the DoD Field Activities, and all other organizational entities within the DoD (referred to collectively in this instruction as the "DoD Components").
(2) Remediation of environmental contamination on DoD installations outside the United States.
b. Does not apply to:
(1) Spill responses governed by DoDI 4715.05 (Reference (e)) and country-specific final governing standards (FGSs) or, where no FGSs have been issued, DoD 4715.05-G (Reference (f)).
(2) The civil works functions of the Department of the Army.
(3) Environmental contamination caused by DoD activities in foreign assistance programs.
(4) Facilities and activities associated with the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program, in accordance with Executive Order 12344 (Reference (g)), and conducted pursuant to section 7158 of Title 42, United States Code (Reference (h)).
c. Is for the internal management of the DoD and does not create any independent right enforceable against the DoD, the United States, or their officers, agents, or employees.
d. Does not supersede or amend any existing international agreement respecting remediation of environmental contamination caused by the DoD outside the United States.