Standard Specification for Pipe, Steel, Black and Hot-Dipped, Zinc-Coated, Welded and Seamless
|Publication Date:||1 March 2012|
|ICS Code (Iron and steel pipes):||23.040.10|
1. (a) These specifications cover black and
(1) Pipe ordered under these specifica¬tions is nominal (average) wall and is intended for coiling, bending, flanging, and other special purposes, and is suit¬able for welding.
(2) When seamless or electric-resist¬ance
(3) Butt-welded pipe is not intended for flanging.
(4) The purpose for which the pipe is intended should be stated in the order.
(b) Galvanized Pipe.-When pipe or¬dered under these specifications is to be galvanized, the tension, flattening, and bend tests shall be made on the base material before galvanizing, and the pipe shall be galvanized and the coating tested in accordance with the Standard Specifications for Black and Hot-Dipped Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) Welded and Seamless Steel Pipe for Ordinary Uses (A.S.T.M. Designation: A 120).* When specified, results of the mechanical tests on the base material shall be reported to the purchaser.
NOTE 1.-If impracticable to make the me¬chanical tests on the base material before gal¬vanizing, such tests may be made on galvanized samples, and any flaking or cracking of the zinc coating shall not be considered cause for rejec-tion.
NOTE 2.-When galvanized pipe, as covered by these specifications, is bent or otherwise fabri¬cated to a degree which causes the zinc coating to stretch orcompress beyond the limit of elasticity. some flaking of the coating may occur.