ITU-T SUPP 12 SERIES H
Gateway control protocol: Priority traffic treatment by ITU-T H.248 gateways
|Publication Date:||1 November 2013|
This supplement provides complementary information concerning the handling of priority traffic by the ITU-T H.248 entities: media gateway controller (MGC) and media gateway (MG).
The following aspects are covered within the scope:
- the notion of "priority traffic" from the perspective of the ITU-T H.248 gateway control interface (clause 6);
- a comprehensive traffic model for priority services (as introduced by [ITU-T H.248.81]) with focus on the MG (clause 6.1);
- the specification aspects of ITU-T H.248 profiles with respect to "generic" and "practical" profiles (clause 6.2);
- a status snapshot of some ITU-T H.248 profiles and Context attribute support for priority traffic handling (Appendix I);
- example use cases for different gateway types supporting priority traffic (such as with possible international emergency preference scheme (IEPS) call indicator support) (Appendix II).
This supplement illustrates the difficulty, even impossibility, of a generic specification, i.e., a generic ITU-T H.248 profile, in justifying concrete, dedicated protocol solutions in the case of an available alternative for "emulation approaches".