CEN - EN 16485
Round and sawn timber - Environmental Product Declarations - Product category rules for wood and wood-based products for use in construction
|Publication Date:||1 March 2014|
|ICS Code (Timber structures):||91.080.20|
|ICS Code (Other aspects):||91.010.99|
This European Standard provides general Product Category Rules (PCR) for Type III environmental declarations for wood and wood-based products for use in construction and related construction and inservice processes.
This European Standard complements the core rules for the product category of construction products as defined in EN 15804 and is intended to be used in conjunction with EN 15804.
NOTE The assessment of social and economic performances at product level is not covered by this standard.
The core PCR:
- define the parameters to be declared and the way in which they are collated and reported;
- describe which stages of a product's life cycle are considered in the EPD and which processes are to be included in the life cycle stages;
- define rules for the development of scenarios;
- include the rules for calculating the Life Cycle Inventory and the Life Cycle Impact Assessment underlying the EPD, including the specification of the data quality to be applied;
- include the rules for reporting predetermined, environmental and health information, that is not covered by LCA for a product, construction process and construction service where necessary;
- define the conditions under which construction products can be compared based on the information provided by EPD.
For the EPD of construction services, the same rules and requirements apply as for the EPD of construction products.
Additionally to the common parts of EN 15804, this European Standard for wood and wood-based products:
- defines the system boundaries;
- defines the rules for modelling and assessment of material-specific characteristics such as carbon storage and energy content of wood;
- defines allocation procedures for multi-output processes along the wood chain;
- defines allocation procedures for reuse, recycling and energy recovery;
- includes the rules for calculating the Life Cycle Inventory and the Life Cycle Impact Assessment underlying the EPD, including the assessment of carbon and energy content of wood;
- provides guidance/specific rules for the determination of the Reference Service Life (RSL).
This European Standard is intended to be used for cradle to gate or cradle to grave assessment, provided the intention is properly stated in the system boundary description.