Fire Protection Standard for Pleasure and Commercial Motor Craft
|Publication Date:||1 January 2015|
This standard shall establish minimum requirements for the prevention of fire and explosion, for mitigation of carbon monoxide hazards, and for life safety in case of fire, on boats specified in Section 1.3.
This standard shall establish minimum requirements for the following:
(1) Elimination of ignition sources
(2) Ventilation of accommodation spaces, fuel tank compartments (if separate from machinery spaces), and machinery spaces
(3) Use of combustible materials
(4) Fire-extinguishing equipment and fire exits
(5) Control of fire-extinguishing agents in machinery spaces
(6) Mitigation of carbon monoxide hazards from all sources
The purpose of this standard shall be to minimize the loss of life and property due to fires, explosions, and carbon monoxide aboard pleasure and commercial vessels.
The intent of this standard shall be to make motor craft as free from the hazards of fire and carbon monoxide as practicable.
The requirements of this standard shall be considered necessary to provide a reasonable level of protection from loss of life and property from fire, explosion, and carbon monoxide and reflect the conditions and the state of the art at the time the standard was issued.