General Requirements for Residual Current Operated Protective Devices
|Publication Date:||1 January 1983|
|ICS Code (Fuses and other overcurrent protection devices):||29.120.50|
This report applies to residual current operated protective devices (hereinafter referred to as "residual current devices") for rated voltages not exceeding 440 V a.c. and rated currents not exceeding 200 A, intended principally for protection against shock hazard.
This report may be used as a guide also for residual current devices of rated currents above 200 A and voltages up to 1 000 V, a.c.
- to devices performing simultaneously the functions to detect the residual current (see Subclause 2.3.4), to compare it to a reference value (see Sub-clause 2.3.5) and to open the protected circuit when the residual current exceeds this reference value (see Sub-clause 2.3.6);
- to the association of devices, each one of them performing separately one or two of the abovementioned functions, but acting together in order to accomplish all three functions.
Supplementary or particular requirements are necessary for residual current devices, whether with or without integral overcurrent protection, intended for accomplishing only one or two of the above three functions.
For devices performing other functions in addition to the ones mentioned above, this report applies together with the relevant standard for the additional functions.
Supplementary or particular requirements are necessary for:
- residual current circuit-breakers for use by uninstructed people;
- socket-outlets for use by uninstructed people, and incorporating residual current devices;
- plugs and couplers for use by uninstructed people, and incorporating residual current devices;
- devices intended only for the protection of installations or equipment against earth fault currents liable to cause damage to the insulation or fire hazard, without any reference to the protection of persons against shock hazards;
- devices intended oniy to give a signal in case of an insulation fault in the protected instalíation.
This report applies for conditions as stated in Sub-clause 5.7. For other conditions, special requirements may be necessary.