Electrical Apparatus for Explosive Gas Atmospheres – Part 0: General Requirements
|Publication Date:||1 March 2002|
This part of IEC 60079 specifies the general requirements for construction, testing and marking of electrical apparatus, Ex cable entries and Ex components, intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres of gas, vapour and mist.
This standard does not specify requirements for safety, other than those directly related to the explosion risk.
This standard is or will be supplemented or modified by the following parts of IEC 60079 concerning specific types of protection:
- IEC 60079-1: flameproof enclosures "d";
- IEC 60079-2: pressurized enclosures "p";
- IEC 60079-5: powder filling "q";
- IEC 60079-6: oil immersion "o";
- IEC 60079-7: increased safety "e";
- IEC 60079-11: intrinsic safety "i";
- IEC 60079-18: encapsulation "m";
- IEC 60079-22: caplights for mines susceptible to firedamp (under consideration).
This part of IEC 60079 and the parts of IEC 60079 mentioned above are not applicable to the construction of electromedical apparatus, shot-firing exploders, test devices for exploders and for shot-firing circuits.
NOTE 1 In addition to the types of protection listed above, IEC 60079-15 is applicable for use in a potentially explosive atmosphere.
NOTE 2 Apparatus not conforming with this standard or the standards listed in this clause may be considered safe by a national or other authorised body for use in potentially explosive atmospheres. In such cases, the apparatus is identified with the symbol "s".