L.E.D. Signal and Marking Lighting Devices
|Publication Date:||1 July 2005|
This SAE Recommended Practice applies to functions of motor vehicle signalling and marking lighting devices which use light emitting diodes (L.E.D.'s) as light sources. This report provides test methods, requirements, and guidelines applicable to the special characteristics of L.E.D. lighting devices. This Recommended Practice is in addition to those required for devices designed with incandescent light sources. This report is intended to be a guide to standard practice and is subject to change to reflect additional experience and technical advances.
The changes are as follows;
1. The foreword was removed because it only applied to the last revision.
2. The name of the document was changed to L.E.D Signal and Marking Lighting Devices from L.E.D. Devices to reflect the addition of a companion document SAE XJ2650 for forward lighting.
3. Removed SAE J576 from applicable documents because it is no longer referenced in the standard.
4. Added SAE J2139 to applicable publications.
5. Changed 3.2 definition of an L.E.D. to be the same as the definition in SAE XJ2650.
(New) L.E.D. - An indivisible discrete light source unit, containing [a] semiconductor junction[s], in which visible light is produced when forward current flows as a result of applied voltage.
(Old) L.E.D. - An indivisible, discrete light source unit containing a semiconductor junction in which visible light is non-thermally produced when a forward current flows as a result of applied voltage.
6. Expanded 3.3 the definition of a L.E.D. Lighting device.
7. Changed 3.4 the definition of an Incandescent lamp source to correspond with the definition of a filament bulb in J387.
8. Added 3.8. A definition for Photometric Stability - the point at which the photometry is stable ±5% within the previous 15 minute period.
9. Added section 4, Identification Codes, Markings and Notices, to be consistent with other lighting J documents. This resulted in renumbering the rest of the document.
10. Added or J2139 to the paragraph with SAE J575, they are companion documents. J2139 was also added anywhere else J575 was mentioned.
11. Changed 5.1.3 Dust by and added the words on the inside of the lens.
12. Section 5.1.5 PHOTOMETRY TEST was changed to reference SAE J1330 photometry guidelines, which was updated to include some of the special considerations, needed for L.E.D. lighting.
13. Section 5.1.5 was broken up into two sections 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 that helps to clarify the testing procedure for the two different types of lamps previously identified as "steady burning" and "intermittent operating" lamp functions. The new wording provides clear instructions on how to perform the tests for each type. Included in this change was also the removal of the term heat saturation, which was replaced with the term photometric stability.
14. Added a sentence to section 18.104.22.168 to help clarify the minimum and maximum temperatures. The minimum temperature shall be -30 °C, and the maximum temperature shall be 50 °C.
15. Section 6.1.5 was changed to correspond with the changes made in 5.1.5.
16. Removed Section 6.4 because it is already in all of the individual photometric standards.
17. Removed Section 7.1 because Photometric design guidelines have been removed from corresponding documents.
18. Removed section 7.2.3 because this document is not an end user document.