Safety of Household and Similar Electrical Appliances Part 1: General Requirements
|Publication Date:||1 June 1994|
This standard deals with the safety of electrical appliances for household and similar purposes, the rated voltage of the appliances being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
Appliances may incorporate motors, heating elements or their combination.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
NOTE 1 - Examples of such appliances are catering equipment, cleaning appliances for industrial and commercial use, and appliances for hairdressers.
So far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances which are encountered by all persons in and around the home.
This standard does not in general take into account
- the use of appliances by young children or infirm persons without supervision;
- playing with the appliance by young children.
2 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- for appliances intended to be used in tropical countries special requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
3 This standard does not apply to
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- radio and television receivers, record players and similar equipment (IEC 65);
- appliances for medical purposes (IEC 601);
- hand-held motor-operated electric tools (IEC 745);
- personal computers and similar equipment I (JEC 950)
- blankets, pads and similar flexible heating appliances (IEC 967);
- electric fence energizers (lEO 1011);
- transportable motor-operated electric tools (IEC 1029).