API STD 1163
In-line Inspection Systems Qualification Standard
|Publication Date:||1 August 2005|
This Standard covers the use of in-line inspection systems for onshore and offshore gas and hazardous liquid pipelines. This includes, but is not limited to, tethered or free flowing systems for detecting metal loss, cracks, mechanical damage, pipeline geometries, and pipeline location or mapping, The Standard applies to both existing and developing technologies.
This Standard is an umbrella document that provides performance-based requirements for in-line inspection systems, including procedures, personnel, equipment, and associated software.
The Standard includes the following sections:
• Terms and Definitions.
• Systems Qualification Process and Incorporated Standards - Overall process description with referenced qualification requirements for in-line inspection personnel and equipment.
• In-Line Inspection System Selection - Requirements for selecting an in-line inspection system for a specific pipeline application.
• Qualification of Performance Specifications - Requirements for establishing, documenting, and validating performance specifications of in-line inspection systems.
• System Operational Validation - Requirements that must be met before, during, and after running an in-line inspection system to assure that the system functioned properly.
• System Results Verification - Requirements for verifying that the results of an inspection are consistent with the performance specification.
• Reporting Requirements.
• Quality Management System - Requirements for documentation, quality control, continuous improvement, and system review.