EEC - EC 97/68/EC
Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on the Approximation of the Laws of the Member States Relating to Measures Against the Emission of Gaseous and Particulate Pollutants from Internal Combustion Engines to Be Installed in Non-Road Mobile Machinery
|Publication Date:||16 December 1997|
This Directive applies to engines to be installed in non-road mobile machinery.
This Directive does not apply to engines for the propulsion of:
- vehicles as defined by Directive 70/156/EEC(1), and by Directive 92/61/EEC(2),
- agricultural tractors as defined by Directive 74/150/EEC(3).
Additionally, in order to be covered by this Directive, the engines have to be installed in machinery which meets the following specific requirements:
A. intended and suited, to move, or to be moved on the ground, with or without road, and with a C.I. engine having a net power in accordance with section 2.4 that is higher than 18 kW but not more than 560 kW(4) and that is operated under intermittent speed rather than a single constant speed.
Machinery, the engines of which are covered under this definition, includes but is not limited to:
- industrial drilling rigs, compressors, etc.,
- construction equipment including wheel loaders, bulldozers, crawler tractors, crawler loaders, truck-type loaders, off-highway trucks, hydraulic excavators, etc.,
- agricultural equipment, rotary tillers,
- forestry equipment,
- self-propelled agricultural vehicles (except tractors as defined above),
- material handling equipment,
- fork-lift trucks,
- road maintenance equipment (motor graders, road rollers, asphalt finishers),
- snow-plough equipment,
- ground support equipment in airports,
- aerial lifts,
- mobile cranes.
This Directive is not applicable for the following applications: ,
C. railway locomotives
E. generating sets
(1) OJ L 42, 23.2.1970, p. 1. Directive as last amended by Directive 93/81/EEC (OJ L 264, 23.10.1993, p. 49).
(2) OJ L 225, 10.8.1992, p. 72.
(3) OJ L 84, 28.3.1974, p. 10. Direstive as last amended by Directive 88/297/EEC (OJ L 126, 20.5.1988, p. 52).
(4) An approval granted in accordance with Regulation 49 of the Economic Commission for Europe, series of amendments 02, corrigenda 1/2 shall be deemed to be equivalent to an approval granted in accordance with Directive 88/77/EEC (see Directive 92/53/EEC, Annex IV, section I).