Information and Documentation - Records Management - Part 1: General
|Publication Date:||15 September 2001|
|ICS Code (Information sciences):||01.140.20|
This part of ISO 15489 provides guidance on managing records1) of originating organizations, public or private, for internal and external clients.
All the elements outlined in this part of ISO 15489 are recommended to ensure that adequate records are created, captured and managed. Procedures that help to ensure the management of records according to the principles and elements outlined in this part of ISO 15489 are provided in ISO/TR 15489-2 (Guidelines).
This part of ISO 15489
- applies to the management of records, in all formats or media, created or received by any public or private organization in the conduct of its activities, or any individual with a duty to create and maintain records,
- provides guidance on determining the responsibilities of organizations for records and records policies, procedures, systems and processes,
- provides guidance on records management in support of a quality process framework to comply with ISO 9001 and ISO 14001,
- provides guidance on the design and implementation of a records system, but
- does not include the management of archival records within archival institutions.
This part of ISO 15489 is intended for use by
- managers of organizations,
- records, information and technology management professionals,
- all other personnel in organizations, and
- other individuals with a duty to create and maintain records.
1) In some countries, the management of records also applies to archives management. Archives management is not covered in this part of ISO 15489.