Standard: VA - FED H-08-1 SEC 13081
SEISMIC RESTRAINT REQUIREMENTS FOR NONSTRUCTURAL COMPONENTS
This standard is available with a subscription to IHS Standards Expert.
IHS Standards Expert subscription, simplifies and expedites the process for finding and managing standards by giving you access to standards from over 370 standards developing organizations (SDOs).FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Maximize product development and R&D with direct access to over 1.6 million standards
- Discover new markets: Identify unmet needs and discover next-generation technologies
- Improve quality by leveraging consistent standards to meet customer and market requirements
- Minimize risk: Mitigate liability and better understand compliance regulations
- Boost efficiency: Speed up research, capture and reuse expertise
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
A. Provide seismic restraint in accordance with the requirements of this section in order to maintain the integrity of nonstructural components of the building so that they remain safe and functional in case of seismic event.
B. Definitions: Non-structural building components are components or systems that are not part of the building’s structural system whether inside or outside, above or below grade. Non-structural components of buildings include:
1. Architectural Elements: Facades that are not part of the structural system and its shear resistant elements; cornices and other architectural projections and parapets that do not function structurally; glazing; nonbearing partitions; suspended ceilings; stairs isolated from the basic structure; cabinets; bookshelves; medical equipment; and storage racks.
2. Electrical Elements: Power and lighting systems; substations; switchgear and switchboards; auxiliary engine-generator sets; transfer switches; motor control centers; motor generators; selector and controller panels; fire protection and alarm systems; special life support systems; and telephone and communication systems.
3. Mechanical Elements: Heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning systems; medical gas systems; plumbing systems; sprinkler systems; pneumatic systems; boiler equipment and components.
4. Transportation Elements: Mechanical, electrical and structural elements for transport systems, i.e., elevators and dumbwaiters, including hoisting equipment and counterweights.
|Organization:||U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs|
|Document Number:||fed h-08-1 sec 13081|
|Most Recent Revision:||YES|