Railway Applications Specification and Demonstration of Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS)
|Publication Date:||1 September 2002|
|ICS Code (Railway rolling stock):||45.060|
This International Standard
- defines RAMS in terms of reliability, availability, maintainability and safety and their interaction;
- defines a process, based on the system life cycle and tasks within it, for managing RAMS;
- enables conflicts between RAMS elements to be controlled and managed effectively;
- defines a systematic process for specifying requirements for RAMS and demonstrating that these requirements are achieved;
- addresses railway specifics;
- does not define RAMS targets, quantities, requirements or solutions for specific railway applications;
- does not specify requirements for ensuring system security;
- does not define rules or processes pertaining to the certification of railway products against the requirements of this standard;
- does not define an approval process by the safety regulatory authority.
This International Standard is applicable
- to the specification and demonstration of RAMS for all railway applications and at all levels of such an application, as appropriate, from complete railway routes to major systems within a railway route, and to individual and combined sub-systems and components within these major systems, including those containing software; in particular
• to new systems,
• to new systems integrated into existing systems in operation prior to the creation of this standard, although it is not generally applicable to other aspects of the existing system,
• to modifications of existing systems in operation prior to the creation of this standard; although it is not generally applicable to other aspects of the existing system;
− at all relevant phases of the life cycle of an application;
− for use by Railway Authorities and railway support industry.
NOTE Guidance on the applicability is given in the requirements of this standard.