Wind turbines – Part 25-1: Communications for monitoring and control of wind power plants – Overall description of principles and models
|Publication Date:||1 December 2006|
|ICS Code (Wind turbine energy systems):||27.180|
The focus of the IEC 61400-25 series is on the communications between wind power plant components such as wind turbines and actors such as SCADA Systems. Internal communication within wind power plant components is beyond the scope of the IEC 61400-25 series.
The IEC 61400-25 series is designed for a communication environment supported by a client-server model. Three areas are defined, that are modelled separately to ensure the scalability of implementations:
1) wind power plant information models,
2) information exchange model, and
3) mapping of these two models to a standard communication profile.
The wind power plant information model and the information exchange model, viewed together, constitute an interface between client and server. In this conjunction, the wind power plant information model serves as an interpretation frame for accessible wind power plant data. The wind power plant information model is used by the server to offer the client a uniform, component-oriented view of the wind power plant data. The information exchange model reflects the whole active functionality of the server. The IEC 61400-25 series enables connectivity between a heterogeneous combination of client and servers from different manufacturers and suppliers.
As depicted in Figure 1, the IEC 61400-25 series defines a server with the following aspects:
- information provided by a wind power plant component, for example, 'wind turbine rotor speed' or 'total power production of a certain time interval' is modelled and made available for access. The information modelled in the IEC 61400-25 series is defined in IEC 61400-25-2.
- services to exchange values of the modelled information defined in IEC 61400-25-3.
- mapping to a communication profile, providing a protocol stack to carry the exchanged values from the modelled information (IEC 61400-25-4).
The IEC 61400-25 series only defines how to model the information, information exchange and mapping to specific communication protocols. The IEC 61400-25 series excludes a definition of how and where to implement the communication interface, the application program interface and implementation recommendations. However, the objective of the IEC 61400-25 series is that the information associated with a single wind power plant component (such as a wind turbine) is accessible through a corresponding logical device.
IEC 61400-25-1 gives an overall description of the principles and models used in the IEC 61400-25 series of standards.
NOTE The IEC 61400-25 series focuses on the common, non-vendor-specific information. Those information items that tend to vary greatly between vendor-specific implementations can for example be specified in bilateral agreements, in user groups, or in amendments to the IEC 61400-25 series.