Semiconductor Convertors - General Requirements and Line Commutated Convertors Part 1-1: Specifications of Basic Requirements
|Publication Date:||1 March 1991|
|ICS Code (Semiconducting materials):||29.045|
|ICS Code (Rectifiers. Converters. Stabilized power supply):||29.200|
Scope and object
This International Standard specifies the requirements for the performance of all electronic power convertors and electronic power switches using controllable and/or non-controllable electronic valves.
The electronic valves mainly comprise semiconductor devices, ¡.e. diodes and various types of thyristors and transistors, such as reverse blocking or conducting thyristors, turn-off thyristors, triacs and power transistors. The devices may be controlled by means of current, voltage or light. Non-bistable devices are assumed to be operated in the switched mode.
This standard is primarily intended to specify the requirements applicable to line commutated convertors for conversion of a.c. power to d.c. power or vice versa. Parts of this standard are applicable also to other types of electronic power convertors and should be regarded as a standard for them in so far as it is not in contradiction to additional IEC Standards for particular types of semiconductor convertors given in existing or future IEC Publications.
These specific equipment requirements are applicable to semiconductor power convertors that either implement different types of power conversion or use different types of commutation (for example semiconductor self-commutated convertors) or involve particular applications (for example semiconductor convertors for d.c. motor drives) or include a combination of said characteristics (for example direct d.c. convertors for electric rolling stock).
The main purposes of this standard are as follows:
Part 1 -1, IEC 146-1 -1, Specifications of basic requirements.
- to establish basic terms and definitions;
- to specify service conditions which influence the basis of rating;
- to specify test requirements for complete convertor equipment and assemblies, standard design, (for special design see IEC 146-1-2);
- to specify basic performance requirements;
- to give application oriented requirements for semiconductor power convertors.
Part 1-2, IEC 146-1-2, Application guide
- to give additional information on test conditions and components, (for example: semiconductor devices), when required for their use in semiconductor power con- vertors, in addition to or as a modification on existing standards;
- to provide useful reference, calculation factors, formulae and diagrams pertaining to power convertor practice.
Part 1-3, IEC 146-1-3, Transformers and reactors
- to give additional information on characteristics wherein convertor transformers differ from ordinary power transformers. In all other respects, the rules specified in IEC 76, shall apply to convertor transformers, as far as they are not in contradiction with this standard.