Connecting Devices for Low Voltage Circuits for Household and Similar Purposes - Part 1: General Requirements
|Publication Date:||1 December 2002|
|ICS Code (Connecting devices):||29.120.20|
This part of IEC 60998 applies to connecting devices as separate entities for the connection of two or more electrical copper conductors (complying with IEC 60228 or IEC 60344) rigid (solid or stranded) or flexible, having a cross-sectional area of 0,2 mm2 up to and including 35 mm2 and equivalent AWG conductors with a rated voltage not exceeding 1 000 V a.c. up to and including 1 000 Hz and 1 500 V d.c. where electrical energy is used for household and similar purposes.
NOTE Rated connecting capacities lower than 0,5 mm2 are referred to IEC 60344 and rated connecting capacities equal to, or higher than, 0,5 mm2 are referred to IEC 60228.
Connecting devices that require the use of special tools other than for twist-on connecting devices and insulation piercing connecting devices do not comply with this standard.
This standard contains the general requirements to be used together with the relevant Part 2, containing detailed particular requirements for
- devices with screw-type clamping units (IEC 60998-2-1);
- devices with screwless-type clamping units (IEC 60998-2-2);
- devices with insulation piercing clamping units (IEC 60998-2-3);
- devices with twist-on connecting devices (IEC 60998-2-4);
- devices with connecting boxes (junction and/or tapping) (IEC 60998-2-5).