API PUBL 327
Aboveground Storage Tank Standards: A Tutorial
|Publication Date:||1 September 1994|
The procedures contained in this tutorial address the prevention of leaks or catastrophic loss caused by corrosion of the tank bottom or shell, brittle fracture, and excessive settlement. And, most importantly, they show how the API inspection and maintenance documents influence the design of new or proposed tanks.
This document is applicable to ASTs fabricated and/or maintained per the following standards:
• API SPEC 12B: Bolted Tanks for Storage of Production Liquids;
• API SPEC 12D: Field Welded Tanks for Storage of Production Liquids;
• API SPEC 12F: Shop Welded Tanks for Storage of Production Liquids;
• API RP 12R1: Setting, Maintenance, Operation, and Repair of Tanks in Production Service;
• API STD 650: Welded Steel Tanks for Oil Storage;
• API RP 651: Cathodic Protection of Aboveground Storage Tanks;
• API RP 652: Lining of Aboveground Petroleum Storage Tank Bottoms;
• API STD 653: Tank Inspection, Repair, Alteration, and Reconstruction.
Application of the principles discussed in this tutorial to ASTs constructed to differing design criteria should be based on sound engineering judgements. This tutorial does not attempt to address additional rules and requirements that may be imposed by individual jurisdictions or states.