Safety of Household and Similar Electrical Appliances Part 2: Particular Requirements for Refrigerators, Food- Freezers and Ice-Makers
|Publication Date:||1 June 1994|
This clause of part 1 is.applicable except as follows:
This part of IEC 335 applies to
- electrical refrigerators with or without frozen food storage compartments, frozen food storage cabinets and food freezers and their combinations for household and similar use;
- ice-makers incorporating a motor-compressor and ice-makers intended to be incorporated in food freezers or frozen food storage compartments;
- refrigerators and freezers for camping use, touring caravans and for boats for leisure purposes. These appliances may be mains operated, battery operated or operated either by mains or battery. They may also be in addition energized by another source (gas or fuel).
It deals with safety rules for such appliances. It does not cover features of construction and operation of refrigerators and freezers which are dealt with in ISO Standards.
Some tests related to stability and mechanical hazards are introduced in appendix BB. Some of these tests are taken from ISO Standards.
Where applicable, clauses of part 1 related to safety of heating appliances apply to absorption-type refrigerators or food freezers, and to heating elements incorporated in compression-type refrigerators or food freezers.
Appliances not intended for normal household use, but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
This standard does not take into account the special hazards which exist in nurseries and other places where there are young children or aged or infirm persons without supervision; in such cases additional requirements may be necessary.
This standard does not apply to:
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- separate motors.
For appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary.
Attention is drawn to the fact that in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities and the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour