NFPA - 70E
STANDARD FOR ELECTRICAL SAFETY REQUIREMENTS FOR EMPLOYEE WORKPLACES
|Publication Date:||1 January 1983|
Scope for NFPA 70E
A. This standard addresses those electrical safety requirements for employee workplaces that are necessary for the practical safeguarding of employees in their pursuit of gainful employment. This standard covers:
(1) Electric conductors and equipment installed within or on buildings or other structures, including mobile homes and recreational vehicles; and other premises such as yards, carnival, parking, and other lots, and industrial substations.
(2) Conductors that connect the installations to a supply of electricity.
(3) Other outside conductors on the premises.
B. This standard does not cover:
(1) Installations in ships, watercraft, railway rolling stock, aircraft, or automotive vehicles other than mobile homes and recreational vehicles.
(2) Installations underground in mines.
(3) Installations of railways for generation, transformation, transmission, or distribution of power used exclusively for operation of rolling stock or installations used exclusively for signaling and communication purposes.
(4) Installation of communication equipment under the exclusive control of communication utilities, located outdoors or in building spaces used exclusively for such installations.
(5) Installations under the exclusive control of electric utilities for the purpose of communication or metering; or for the generation, control, transformation, transmission, and distribution of electric energy located in buildings used exclusively by utilities for such purposes or located outdoors on property owned or leased by the utility or on public highways, streets, roads, etc., or outdoors by established rights on private property.
C. This standard is divided into the following four parts and three appendices:
Part I, Installation Safety Requirements
Part II, Safety Related Work Practices
Part III, Safety Related Maintenance Requirements
Part IV, Safety Requirements for Special Equipment
Appendix A, Definitions
Appendix B, Tables, Notes and Charts,
Appendix C, Referenced Documents Editorial
Note: Part IV and Appendix B of NFPA 70E are to be developed by the NFPA 70E Committee at a later date.