Low-voltage power supplies, d.c. output – Part 7: Safety requirements
|Publication Date:||1 July 2006|
|ICS Code (Rectifiers. Converters. Stabilized power supply):||29.200|
Equipment covered by this standard
This part of IEC 61204 specifies the safety requirements for POWER SUPPLY units providing DC output(s) with or without auxiliary a.c. output(s) operating from a.c. or d.c. source voltages up to 600 V a.c. or 1 000 V d.c. (See exceptions in 1.1.3).
NOTE Ringing generators used in telecoms applications are covered by this standard.
This product standard covers both STAND-ALONE and COMPONENT POWER SUPPLY units as defined in this document. POWER SUPPLY units, which comply with the main body of this standard, satisfy the requirements of POWER SUPPLY units for use in or with IT equipment normally covered by IEC 60950:1999 and/or IEC 60950-1:2001. POWER SUPPLY units will also comply with the appropriate standard or application requirements given below if they also meet the additional requirements of the appropriate annex.
PS-A Measurement, control and laboratory equipment normally covered by IEC 61010-1: 2001.
PS-B Medical equipment (under consideration) - normally covered by IEC 60601-1:2005.
NOTE This annex will be based on IEC 60601-1:2005 (Third Edition)
PS-C Reserved for future use.
PS-D Audio, Video and similar electronic apparatus - normally covered by IEC 60065:2001.
PS-E DC Power and distribution equipment.
This standard also covers DC-DC converters.
Where no standards exist, use of this standard for other applications is not precluded.
Requirements additional to those specified in this standard may be necessary for:
- POWER SUPPLIES intended for operation in special environments (for example, extremes of temperature; excessive dust, moisture or vibration; flammable gases; and corrosive or explosive atmospheres);
- POWER SUPPLIES intended to be used in vehicles, on board ships or aircraft, or in tropical countries;
- POWER SUPPLIES intended for use where ingress of water is possible; for guidance on such requirements and on relevant testing, see annex T/RD.
Attention is drawn to the fact that authorities in some countries impose additional requirements for health, environmental and similar reasons.
POWER SUPPLIES for use in or with power installations may have to meet additional requirements of IEC 62103:2003.
This standard does not apply to
- motor-generator sets;
- uninterruptible POWER SUPPLIES (UPS) to IEC 62040-1-1:2004;
- POWER SUPPLIES covered by IEC 61558-1:2005 (i.e. POWER SUPPLY units incorporating safety isolating transformers providing SELV or PELV output(s) in accordance with IEC 60364-4-41:2001 and POWER SUPPLIES for use with household and other consumer products, except those covered by IEC 60065:2001 and IEC 60950:1999 and/or IEC 60950-1:2001;
- transformers covered by IEC 61558-1:2005;
- step-down converters covered by IEC 60146-1-1:1991;
- POWER SUPPLIES and converters for use with or in products covered by IEC 61347-2-2:2000.