Safety of Household and Similar Electrical Appliances Part 2: Particular Requirements for Electrical Heat Pumps, Air-Conditioners and Dehumidifiers
|Publication Date:||1 March 2001|
This clause of part 1 is replaced by:
This part of IEC 335 applies to the safety of electric heat pumps, including sanitary hot water heat pumps, air-conditioners, and dehumidifiers incorporating sealed motor-compressors, their maximum rated voltages being not more than 250 V for single phase and 600 V for all other appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
The appliances referenced above may consist of one or more factory made assemblies. If provided in more than one assembly, the separate assemblies are to be used together, and the requirements are based on the use of matched assemblies.
1 A definition of "sealed motor-compressor" is given in IEC 335-2-34.
2 Requirements for refrigeration safety are covered by ISO 5149, and requirements for containers intended for storage of the heated water included in sanitary hot water heat pumps are, in addition, covered by IEC 335-2-21.
3 For appliances using flammable refrigerants, additional requirements are under consideration.
Supplementary heaters, or a provision for their separate installation, are within the scope of this standard, but only heaters which are designed as a part of the appliance package, the controls being incorporated in the appliance.
4 Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
- for appliances intended to be used in tropical countries special requirements may be necessary;
- for appliances subjected to pressure, additional requirements may be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities. In the case of appliances for permanent connection to the water supply system, all relevant requirements need to be observed.
5 This standard does not apply to
- humidifiers intended for use with heating and cooling equipment (IEC 335-2-88);
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial processing;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).